Friday, February 7, 2014

Thing 12

            When it came to the google tools, there were quite a few sources that I had already been using. For instance, I use Google Scholar when doing research for papers because it has the ability to link up to Austin Peay State University’s library. The search engine for google drastically cuts the research time in comparison to simply searching through my school’s library databases. I chose to set up an alert and explore Google travel because I didn’t want to set up another public online photo album for a class. 
           As I have stated in previous blogs, I do not like having my personal life on display for the internet. I am very fond of privacy settings. The alert that I chose to set up was simply an alert to blogs that are focused on creative writing. My tool did not have a way that I can set it to public as it comes straight to my email. When trying to set up a link to the alert, it will ask you for my email password. I didn’t bother putting it in this blog, but this is the link to set up an alert http://www.google.com/alerts.
          When it comes to using alerts for educational purposes, I could set up an alert for certain aspects of my curriculum, and bring new thoughts to old discussions over literature. I can set up an alert over the actual literature work that we are about to start, and I might even get a new lesson plan out of it. With Google translate there is an obvious use for this in the classroom. If there is a student that has a language barrier, I would be able to type the specific instruction into computer. Then the student can either read the instruction in a language they are more comfortable with, or they even have an audio option.

No comments:

Post a Comment